What's new

Suggestion Surf Timer Suggestions/Improvements

.echo

Owner
Staff member
Owner
I am creating this thread to bounce around some ideas to test and get some feedback from players. These are the things I want to test and try. Some may be scrapped and some may stay permanent.

• Adding an anti-mic spam plugin to the server. Likely going to configure it to a sensitivity of ~5 seconds. Will warn then mute or kick. (Needs serious testing for false-positives).
  • Add a Mute vote plugin to allow players to mute others. (maybe kick? but..... potential abuse?).
  • Add an AntiMicSpam plugin to prevent server lag and cut off screamers/music spam.
  • Set strafe prespeed to ~320 (maybe 400?). 260 without weapon (none-prestrafe speed).
  • Test these values on the server:
    • sv_friction 4.
    • sv_stopspeed 100.
    • sv_accelerate 5.
  • Set cmd/update rates to 85.3 and adjust tick rate to 64 for better client/server performance(Needs testing).
  • Set timelimit to 30 minutes and allow up to 3 separate 10-minute extensions for up to 1 hour per map.
  • Set sv_parallel_sendsnapshot to 1 for serious performance gains (specific for Linux servers)
  • Cap Max Vel to 3500 (Thx Raii^n)
I will update this post/thread with more ideas as they come to me. Feel free to post your own ideas and or criticize my ideas!

Last edited:

Raii^n

Server Admin
Staff member
Server Admin
Zoner
I like it! :p I think the pre should be 400 or 410 those are what most people can pre strafe. As far as the Max vel goes it should stay as 3500 unless maps that require or need more speed ( aircontrol, utopia_njv ((not utopia night)) if the anti mic spam plug in is to much to handle or set up i can just manually mute i am almost always on the server and i can recommend callistar (to get mod or admin) beucase he is on as much as i am to control the behavior of the server. as far as the time limit and that idea goes i think that its a good idea and something new to try! Also this is later on in the future but when the server gets populated (which it will) should prob up the slots to 30 or maybe 40! Taking baby steps and making sure everything works correctly is key!

.echo

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Also this is later on in the future but when the server gets populated (which it will) should prob up the slots to 30 or maybe 40! Taking baby steps and making sure everything works correctly is key!
I will do that. But the problem for now is that at the current tickrate and rate values (102.4) ~22 players is all the server can take. I imagine once I lower the tickrate and rates we can up the slotcount to ~30 players with no problems.

ufo

so, i do like the initial suggestions to a certain extent, and as an average surfer, i wanted to comment a few points, or at least, throw around some ideals

the discussion of tickrate is quite a topical discussion since a majority of the counter-strike global offensive community utilizes 102.4 tic for the speed, in addition with the 6500+ max velocity rate; higher tic will have a stronger impact on the server resources, but back a few years ago, i've ran a 102.4 tickrate, 24 slot 1gb/1cpu VPS and it was full nearly 24/7, zero issues - so, it's definitely doable on lower resources

my opinion is that this server shouldn't submit to the typical quickly thrown together server as all surfing servers are now in the csgo realm. with the amount of support this community has with their administration willingly working on the timer is alone worthy of these servers to prosper instead of be another average standardized surfing server

with that, i'd suggest standing firm with a 64 tick based server, 64/64 rates, 3500 max velocity, and throughout the multitude of maps, zoning them to allow the telehops and such that you do not find anymore on any standardized server because of the auto importing of premade zones. all records will need to be purged because of the 102.4 tick rates

such settings are relevant to the ex-largest surfing community in go, which was opium gaming (newb surf), back in 2013 - among this community, they zoned each map to allow telehops on certain maps, with legit skips to be made; however, disabling the annoying-factor and illegitament record-breaking items/etc (utopia's knife, kitsune's rainbow, etc). you had some of the best surfers join in on this communities skill servers because of the similarities it had with ksf, yet, being a little more relaxed

although it's definitely fun to gain a bunch of speed with a 102.4 tic server and never hitting max velocity on maps, i'd like to see an actual unique server pop up again that is commendable and respectable across all forms of surfers - this is a difficult topic to discuss with new surfers, or pure 102.4 tic surfers, but it's what surfing was initially designed for and i'd love to get my sights on a solid server again to regularly surf on and not jump around to all the different 102.4 servers out there

in addition to the server you have available, which implies easy surf, there's clearly a load of maps that's currently on the server in which are not by any means easy for the new comer, nor average surfer -- these are the maps such as kitsune 2, etc. i think there needs to be two different servers to separate the tier 1-2 (or 1-3) maps, then tier 3-6 (or 4-6) maps - this is of course a costly adventure, and time consuming, but in the meantime, i do believe this needs to be addressed as a priority and looked at more carefully so the community isn't driving away possible regulars to the server

i'd like to see a better rank title system in place that followed similarly with opium gaming's if possible -- back in the day, it was a grand achievement in their servers to actually obtain certain ranks - they were as follows: Beginner, Rookie, Amature, ☆ Amature, Advanced, ☆ Advanced, Skilled, ☆ Skilled, ☆Buttery, ♞Veteran, Elite, ♛ Elite, Master, ♛ Master, ♛ Legendary

the "Legendary" title was rarely seen by anyone due to the extensive records you'd need to hold in order to achieve it -- i'm unclear if such a system is able to be put in place with your influx timer since it'd require manual coding, but perhaps some form of similar ranking system would be a neat thing to have and it'll bring nostalgia to many older surfers that were in that community

-------------------

one final suggestion: remove the AFK Manager
it's a decent ideal initially, but it isn't necessary -- possibly add some form of inactivity kick mod after a period of 10+ minutes for non-VIP/moderators/admin etc; the AFK Manager as it is is quite a pesky annoyance seeing people hop in spectator and back out continuously because of the manager

-------------------

i've got so many more suggestions and ideas, but i'll leave it at that for now

Last edited:

.echo

Owner
Staff member
Owner
I like it! :p I think the pre should be 400 or 410 those are what most people can pre strafe. As far as the Max vel goes it should stay as 3500 unless maps that require or need more speed ( aircontrol, utopia_njv ((not utopia night)) if the anti mic spam plug in is to much to handle or set up i can just manually mute i am almost always on the server and i can recommend callistar (to get mod or admin) beucase he is on as much as i am to control the behavior of the server. as far as the time limit and that idea goes i think that its a good idea and something new to try! Also this is later on in the future but when the server gets populated (which it will) should prob up the slots to 30 or maybe 40! Taking baby steps and making sure everything works correctly is key!
Everything you have listed here has been implemented in the last couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)